Reconnections for Professionals
Reconnections aims to help older people in Worcestershire to improve their health and wellbeing by tackling the causes of loneliness and isolation.
We work with individuals over the age of 50 on a one-to-one basis, helping them to improve their confidence and connect with local services and activities that suit their interests. Reconnections supports health and care professionals to treat individuals holistically, by providing a referral pathway that meets older people’s non-medical needs.
Why tackle loneliness?
- 9 times more likely to visit the GP,
- 6 times more likely to visit A&E,
- 3 times more likely to have an emergency admission, and
- 5 times more likely to enter local authority-funded residential care
Increased service usage can be estimated at costs of c. £12,000 per lonely individual Additionally, lonely older people are:
- 4 times more likely have depression,
- 9 times more likely to develop dementia in the following 15 years, and
- Two-thirds more likely to be inactive, which may lead to a 7% increased likelihood of diabetes, 8% increased likelihood of stroke and 14% increased likelihood of CHD
- Isolation equivalent impact on mortality to smoking 15 cigarettes a day
“Investing to Tackle Loneliness” Social Finance (2015) Hawkley et al.
“Loneliness predicts reduced physical activity: cross-sectional & longitudinal analysis,” Health Psychology (2009) Wilson et al,
“Loneliness and risk of Alzheimer disease,” Archives of General Psychiatry (2007) Heikkinen et al,
“Depressive symptoms in late life: a 10-year follow up” Finnish Research Centre for Interdisciplinary Gerontology (2003) Ellaway et al.
“Someone to talk to? The role of loneliness as a factor in the frequency of GP consultations.” British Journal of General Practice (1999). Geller et al.
“Loneliness as a predictor of hospital emergency department use.” Journal of Family Practice (1999) Masi et al,
“A Meta-Analysis of Interventions to Address Loneliness,” Personality and Social Psychology Review (2011)
- Pull up Roller Banners
- 6×2 ft Outdoor railing banner with eyelets
- Display Stand and leaflets / giveaways
- Outdoor Lounge – Temporary installation in unusual area. Mock up lounge to raise awareness of loneliness. eg high street, shopping centre, football pitch.
- Oversized Bookmarks
- A5 flyers
- A4 posters for staff rooms or patient/customer area
Get in touch
T: 01905 740954 E: email@example.com
Address: Age UK Herefordshire & Worcestershire, Malvern Gate, Bromwich Road, Worcester, WR2 4BN Charity no: 1080545